Header image  










Grand Prix Coaches History
    Early History


The company was founded on the 21st September 1921 by the late Frank Allison.
His first garage was in his father's barn beside the George Inn at Brough, of which his parents were proprietors. Still in the pioneering days of motor transport one of his first jobs was repairing a cycle chain for which he charged sixpence (2.5p) later transactions such as selling a pound of carbine for 1s (5p) and petrol at 1s 2d (6p) a gallon in 1927 later the garage was probably the first in the north of the county to have petrol pumps.
The company then started to sell cars as well as repair them and many people from Brough and the surrounding district bought their first vehicles from him. By 1927 the company had begun a breakdown service and was later to specialise in heavy recovery work.
Cliff Allison, Frank's son started work in his father's garage when he left school and with his father's help went on to race cars all over the world. Click here
After the A66 by-pass of the village, which almost turned it into a ghost town over night, the company moved on to taxi work for local schools which led onto the coach company of today.

The photograph shows William Allison, who was born in 1862, driving a carriage up the hill to Church Brough in 1920.

Image 1





Sports Fixtures
Read more >


Cliff Allison Grand Prix racing
Read more >